This is the official blog of the Feminism Society of Royal Holloway University of London.To join our mailing list or submit an article, feel free to email rhulfeminism@gmail.com. To pay your society membership please visit www.su.rhul.ac.uk

Tuesday 31 January 2012

A Rant on Pubes.

Anon


Last week I was chatting (over wine, obviously) with my Mum and Gran, 53 and 91 respectively, and we did that rare thing of stumbling across the topic of pubic hair. My mum a child of the 70s had always shaved but never ‘down there’. While my Gran told us how she never shaved any of her body hair. By the time she was 24, having been displaced by war, she was the first person she knew in Bombay to wear a bikini. And yet she still didn’t shave. Can you even begin to imagine being on a beach now and not giving a shit about your underarm hair and bikini line?! 

I sat awkwardly at the table as both the only self-defining feminist but also the only one who shaved all their pubic body hair. It made me feel uncomfortable to realise that as much as I preach about a woman’s right to control her own body, with many justifications of ‘feeling more hygienic’, when questioned I simply had no answer to why I do it and always have. It stirred emotions of frustration – why do I spend so much money and time doing something I feel essentially indifferent towards? If these women before me didn’t feel the need to do it why the hell do I? With so many women apparently shaving it all off, or worse styling it, subjecting their most sensitive, pleasure-receptive parts to extreme waxes I can’t help but wonder what has changed so fundamentally in these three generations. If Lady Caroline Lamb was able to send Lord Byron a romantic lock of her pubic hair in 1812 why do so many of us feel the need to get rid of our muffs now?

Of course not all women shave and I seriously admire those who don’t. I’m so sick of paying 20 quid for 6 bloody razors! And the time it takes, to shave and prune is beyond ridiculous, surely I have better things to be doing? 

Often we claim it’s the way we feel most comfortable but is that because it’s also the way that’s most socially acceptable? Thinking back to when I first started shaving, it was first my under arms and legs. My downstairs bits weren’t an issue until the age I became sexually active, or just before, as a ‘just in case it happens’ kind of thing. I never did it BEFORE but I changed my body to what I assumed guys preferred. I didn’t debate with myself, or wonder which I would favour; I just assumed that was the right way of dealing with body hair. And when I’m not getting any I’m significantly less bothered about doing it. It’s not about what guys want but what we think they want, and what society says women should be like. Averts, celebrities, films all inform our ideals. I can’t think of any Hollywood instances of ‘excessive’ female body hair other than hysteric women types. And yet when you actually ask sexual partners their opinion they never seem to mind. 

Shaving and all its variations have been a long standing feature of societies, dating as far back as Ancient Greece, but its gendered nature and aesthetic function is relatively new, a consequence of rising hem lines and daring bikinis. If you weren’t allowed to flash your ankle what was the point? Alternatively male shaving tends to be considered as slightly homoerotic, a question on your manhood. Only this week the Sunday Times contained an article on advertising and beards, ‘How to get ahead in advertising. It’s no longer Armani suits and hair gel: these days, cool creative types are going for bushy.’ While men seemed to be defined by the hair they gain through puberty, with a direct correlation between hair and masculinity, women are constantly told to remove it and make themselves creepily pre-pubescent. Women are made to be ashamed of the gains of womanhood. There is now a commercial industry deriving profit from women feeling shit about themselves. Capitalism has undoubtly escalated women, and increasingly men’s, hate of their own bodies. I wonder if the pressures are the same in non-hetronormative relationships.

There is a disturbing trend of women increasingly believing their natural vulva isn’t good enough. With labiaplasties and vajazzling, hair removal is the tamest of worries. I’m sorry my vulva isn’t ‘perfect’. I’m sorry it doesn’t naturally sparkle for you.

So a total miss-mash of thoughts, which poses more questions than it answers. But that’s what’s important about feminism right? Constantly questioning the pressures, subjections and expectations of a patriarchal society. Will I change my shaving habits? I doubt it. But will I continue to question why I do it? Absolutely.

1 comment:

  1. I love this post, mostly because I love your honesty. Body hair and feminism go hand in hand for lots of people - it's a very easy way to challenge one of society's many taboos about the female body - but that can mean that many women feel that unless they grow there armpit hair they don't qualify as a real feminist (which is obviously BS). I've met feminists who spent their teens and twenties unshaven only to realise when they were older that body hair actually has no bearing on your political identity.

    However, I do think that your body hair is a wonderful tool with which you can begin to challenge your own relationship with your body as a conduit of societal feminine values. Grow it, give it a try, pay attention to how it makes you feel, how you display your body, how it challenges your interactions with others. And then feel free to remove it again. It's yours, so do what the hell you like with it.

    Of course different women will 'like' different ways of grooming their bodies, and so I think that the most important thing we can do with our body hair is be aware of things that could possibly influence our decision and be sure to make that decision in spite of them. Don't be hairy just to get feminist kudos, because no feminist worth their salt will care! But don't feel like you have to shave in order to be beautiful/feminine/hygienic/clean either.

    Incidentally, I took part in an aquathon last year totally unshaven, which was a very strange experience for both myself and the people swimming next to me...

    I grew my leg hair for the first time at 19 and LOVE IT. I shaved briefly for a couple of years in my early twenties, but now it's back and I can't imagine my legs without it. Armpit hair? I can take it or leave it. Whatever. Pubes? Each to their own really - trim it, shave it, pluck it, grow it, dye it - whatever you want to do to make your fanny one to be proud of. Of course different women will 'like' different grooming styles, but the most important thing that we can do with our body hair is be aware of things that could possibly influence our decision and make that decision in spite of them.

    ReplyDelete

When commenting, please remember that whilst this blog welcomes constructive discussion on feminism, we also aim to maintain a safe blogging space for our members and readers and therefore shall not publish abusive or discriminating comments or tolerate harassment.